Friday, July 13, 2012

How to Cite a LinkedIn Profile


Works cited. Bibliography.  Parenthetical.

 If you are out of college or not a member of academia, you may have retired these words to the same dusty file cabinet in your brain where you store the Pythagorean Theorem or Periodic Table of Elements.  It’s in there somewhere.  Just haven’t had to crack it open in a while…

Well, last week I had to write a paper for a summer class I’m in and found myself in unfamiliar territory.  I had to cite a LinkedIn profile.  In all my library filled evenings spent pouring over APA and MLA handbooks, I never encountered instructions on how to cite a LinkedIn profile. 

So, how do I cite it?  I contacted a career counselor and LinkedIn expert.  I contacted a professor with 20+ years of paper scrutinizing experience.  I contacted a librarian at my alma mater, who every day helps students figure out how to cite obscure information. I asked a question in the LinkIn Answers area (and mostly got spam).  Even the great font of information, Google, could not direct me to the appropriate way to cite a LinkedIn profile. 

So, I went right to the source…APA.  I asked the question on APA’s Facebook page.  They quickly responded.

            APA Style - Wow, this is the first time we've ever gotten this question, but your             solution sounds like a good one. A profile is a profile, right?


APA’s Chelsea Lee explains that “because posts from online social media, such as Twitter and Facebook, are not yet often fodder for scholarly research, specific reference examples aren’t included in the [APA] Publication Manual.”  Lee provides the example of a citation on a Facebook update.

Barack Obama. (2009b, October 9). Humbled.
            http://my.barackobama.com/page/community/post/obamaforamerica/gGM45m
             [Facebook update]. Retrieved from http://www.facebook.com/posted.php?
             id=6815841748&share_id=154954250775&comments=1#s154954250775

 Bare in mind that for LinkedIn, we are not just citing a post, but an entire profile.  Also, depending on an individual’s privacy settings, not everyone may be able to view the post.  This complicates matters as APA states (regarding Facebook posts) that these should be treated as personal communications.

So, with this in mind, my LinkedIn citation should look like this:

Nicole Schiller Palmisano. (n.d.) LinkedIn [Profile page]. Retrieved July 12. 2012,

I have written LinkedIn to confirm my thoughts and expect an answer pretty soon.  I’ll keep you updated on this.  In the meantime, what do you think?

-Nicole

26 comments:

  1. Wow, Nicole. You are definately charting new waters. I am curious, what does the (n.d.) a stand for?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Suzanne! n.d. stands for "no date." While I retrieved the information on July 12, I have no way of knowing when someone posted it...thus n.d.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am also needing to cite a LinkedIn page for a paper. I am required to cite MLA style...any advice for that?

    ReplyDelete
  4. I also need to cite a LinkedIn page for a paper in MLA.. Any news on this?

    ReplyDelete
  5. I did a follow up blog on this topic. I couldn't find a specific format, but spoke to a few professors and looked at the standard for citing Facebook in MLA and came up with this.

    Palmisano, Nicole. LinkedIn. n.p Web. 21 Dec. 2012

    I don’t think it’s possible to tell what date a LinkedIn profile was published, so I eliminated that date and only included the retrieve date. Also, no url seems necessary as one is not needed for Facebook.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Nicole,
    Thanks for your work! I had just asked my professor how I would cite a reference to a private linkedIn Group I am a member of. I couldn't find anything and she found this post of yours.

    I am sure this took a lot of your time and will be helpful to many people. Thanks for your work!

    Sue

    ReplyDelete
  7. My only question regarding this citation concerns the author name, is this the correct format or should it read Palmisano, N.?

    ReplyDelete
  8. This was a great help to me thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thank You. I was needing to cite a profile and couldn't find anything on it until I read your response. I use Noodletools for my formatting and I wonder how soon Social Media choices will be available.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thank you, I had to cite a profile for the company Calinda Software, which has more valuable information to me than their website... A very public and Professional corporate profile. we're going to see this more and more often now!

    ReplyDelete
  11. The current technology advancements have seen people start using the LinkedIn networks among other networks to get access of people using these networks. Since people have moved to the internet to look for linkedin profile writing employees and other sources of information, it is important that you get a good LinkedIn profile so that if you are a person seeking employment, you increase your chances of getting hired for that position.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thanks for offering particular helpful information. Continue posting particular extreme info for us. For more apa format editor

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thanks for sharing useful information, really liked reading the info.
    APA Style Editor

    ReplyDelete
  14. Following this post!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Thank you for being awesome!!

    ReplyDelete
  16. How would I cite this in the text of my APA research paper? Would I just use the last name of the person like usual?

    ReplyDelete
  17. Thank you so much for sharing your journey with us! I'm trying to cite a LinkedIn account as well and I'm following your example. :)

    ReplyDelete
  18. Thanks for sharing this information on how to cite a Linkedln profile. It will be of help to a lot of final year students who are writing either their research projects or dissertation papers. I hope this information will reach out to every student. Additionally, they can outsource writing help whenever they are experiencing troubles while writing their research papers by clicking on Original Qualitative Dissertation Aid.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Writing in apa style requires lots of concentration not to mix it with other kinds of essays.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. APA, is a type of Citing Style I believe, or so I thought. I think it is MLA and APA Citing. I could be wrong, but I don't think I am.

      Delete
  20. Hii there
    Nice Blog
    Guys you can visit here to know more
    Linkedin Advertisement

    ReplyDelete
  21. Thanks for sharing this valuable content. In my view, if all webmasters and bloggers made good content as you did, the web will be a lot more useful than ever before. www.ytviews.co.in/buy-linkedin-followers/

    ReplyDelete
  22. You are very cool! I dont suppose I have read something similar to this before. So nice to search out somebody with authentic applying for grants this subject. I really appreciate starting this up. Your website is one area that is needed on the net. Totally a helpful project for bringing new things for the web! YtViews

    ReplyDelete
  23. Static King is bulk sms service provider in Delhi, India. We provide Bulk SMS Service in Delhi at an affordable package suitable for small and large business.

    ReplyDelete
  24. In the labyrinth of academic administration, the conclusion of the uiuc self service saga emerges as a gateway to streamlined efficiency and empowered student autonomy.

    ReplyDelete
  25. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete