Friday, March 23, 2012

Strange New World




Earlier this week I read how some employers are now asking job applicants to supply their facebook passwords as part of the interview process. Employers have been looking up applicants on social networking sites for years now, but the practice of asking them for their passwords in order to see protected materials is new…and somewhat alarming. According the article, Illinois and Maryland are already looking into the legality of this practice. 

We have all heard “be careful what you put online” and “once it is on the web, it’s there forever.”  Anyone who has looked for a job in the past five years knows to watch the image you create through social media….I know it’s been drilled into my mind over and over again.  I’m a brand and I should present myself accordingly.  In doing so however, I always took comfort in the fact that we could restrict access to some content.  A photo of me and my sister swimming in Montana? Restricted.  A quote I heard on last night’s SNL?   Restricted.  Those awkward-stage high school dance photos.  Restricted.  Well, apparently that may no longer be the case.

I certainly understand this practice from an employer’s perspective.  You want to know if you are interviewing someone who may potentially embarrass your company down the road.   That seems reasonable.  I could also see some firms using this practice to check if an employee’s personality is the right fit.  Innovators look for innovators and a tech start-up may appreciate your old high school science fair photos.  A sporting goods store may be attracted to an applicant who just hiked the Grand Canyon.  So, you see, this could be used for good as well as evil…I suppose.

I’m not knocking the process of googleing an candidate (in fact, I think applicants should do their own research on the people they are considering working for to make sure they approve of the firm and its values).  I’m also not knocking thoroughly vetting candidates.  By all means – Test me.  Interview me.  Google me.  Put me through the wringer.  But at what point is our personal information…our personal information?  How much of our personality are we expected to share with our employer?  Would they also like my Netflix info to make sure I watch appropriate tv shows?  I have an online photo album…is that up for grabs?  Need to check my Amazon purchase history?  I actually have a stack of mail on my counter; would you like to rifle through that a bit?

What does this mean for associations?  Well, you should absolutely Google people you are considering hiring.  Even look up their Facebook profiles (what is visible).  You can find out a lot that way.  Be careful, though, about asking them for their login information.  First of all, it could be an immediate turn off to the applicant.  They may agree but they will most likely think less of your association for it. Secondly, Facebook will not be pleased.  The site’s Chief Privacy Officer stated that “[the practice] potentially exposes the employer who seeks this access to unanticipated legal liability."  By asking for the password, an employer is not only gaining access to the applicant’s information, but their friends’ as well.  She went on to explain that “We’ll take action to protect the privacy and security of our users, whether by engaging policymakers or, where appropriate, by initiating legal action.”

I know it’s tempting to ask for the information.  It’s just floating out there…and you need to know if the person you are hiring will present the best face for your nonprofit, but the risks outweigh the benefits. The world is changing and 99% of the time I’m 100% for it…but in this situation…there is something to be said for the good old fashion interview (and google search!).

-Nicole P

1 comment:

  1. Well said, Nicole! I think if a company lost 2 or 3 great candidates because they refused to turn over their passwords, the company would quickly re-think that question. I'm really hoping jobseekers stand up for themselves on this one and don't feel intimidated to hand over their personal info. If I were asked for this information, I would say, "not only will you NOT get my password, but because my profile is private, you also won't get to read what I post about you and your company in about 15 minutes!" Then with a confident smirk, I'd walk out. Boom.

    ReplyDelete